MHG3332 - Giant's Grave, Reelig
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NH54SE 1 5590 4369.
(NH 5590 4369) Giant's Grave: Possibly Orkney - Cromarty type,with a rectangular chamber. A large cairn was destroyed at the end of the eighteenth century (ISSFC 1885 and 1926) in the course of laying out the grounds. At present there remains an elongated enclosure oriented E-W, formed of stones set on their edges. This is known to have been constructed at that time to represent a 'Viking's Grave' The stones are graduated in size, 2 ft. 9 ins. high at the W. end to 10 in. high at the E. end. The three slabs which form the W. end are massive irregular blocks which may well be in their original positions. They suggest the inner ( or W) end of the type of square-ended chamber which is found in Easter Ross. The site stones are set 3 ft. 8 ins. apart and the end stone is placed askew, inside the S. stone and outside the end of the N. stone.
A large barbed-and-tanged arrowhead of buff flint with pink flecks, now at Reelig House, is believed to have come from this site.
A S Henshall 1963.
This feature is as described as above and the barbed and tanged arrowhead is still at Reelig House.
Visited by OS (R D) 21 December 1964.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 22.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 384; plan 384.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: ISSFC. 1885. 'Excursion to Moniack and Reelick Burn', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 1 1875-80, p.165-71. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 165-71. 168.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: ISSFC. 1926. 'Excursion to Reelick', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 9 1918-25, p.194-199. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 194-199. 199.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5590 4369 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
- ARROWHEAD (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12705 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- Z:\ArchaeologyFiles\HER\General correspondence\2010\RE Highland HER feedback on record MHG3332.htm (Emails with Dr David Sands regarding offer of photos)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.