MHG3337 - St. Mary's Church, Wardlaw
The remains of the parish church for Wardlaw, which was amalgamated with Kirkhill in the early 17th century. This church succeeded an early 13th century structure.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Norse to 19th Century - 1220 AD to 1900 AD)
(NH 5495 4570) St Mary's Church (NR) (In Ruins)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)
The remains of church of former parish of Wardlaw which was incorporated in Kirkhill 1618. This church, dedicated to St Mary, was successor to NH54SW1 which is said to have been removed 1220.
The remains consist of gable against the west gable of mortuary chapel which was built in 1722. Local tradition says that the tombstones from earlier site were removed to this burial ground, where Jolly notes numerous cup-marked stones and refers to 'a fragment of a very beautfiul cross'. <1> <2> <3>
T Wallace 1911 and 1886; W Jolly 1882
What appears to be the foundations of St Mary's Church are attached to the W side of the Lovat Mausoleum, and the enclosure is now used for burials of the Frasers of Reelig. It measures 10.3m E-W by 6.6m N-S within walls 0.5m thick. The W wall is partly destroyed, and the N and S walls averaging 1.0m high are topped by a later coping, but the harled E gable is virtually intact and incorporated in the W wall of the mausoleum. According to a notice board the church was built in 1618 when the parishes were united, and there is no ground evidence to support an earlier date. The same notice, however, states that the mausoleum was built in 1634, but the date 1722 is inscribed on the belfry. The earliest legible grave markers are of the early 17th C. No trace of cup marked stones, nor of the cross fragment. The grave yard is still in use.
Visited by OS (A A) 22 June 1975
An archaeological examination was carried out by Wordsworth Archaeological Services in 1997 in connection with restoration work at this important 17th/18th-century building. As the reconstruction work necessary to preserving the mausoleum required trenches to be dug for drainage, access and services, there was naturally some concern that deposits of archaeological interest might be disturbed. Of particular interest was any information concerning the dimensions and architectural detail relating to the earlier medieval church. Two trenches were excavated, though additional work was recommended. A fine quatrefoil window exposed in the W gable of the mausoleum is thought to be the remains of the window dedicated by Euphemia Fraser in 1341. Other fragments of dressed masonry thought to derive from the medieval church were also found. However, apart from the W gable, no walling incontrovertibly related to the earlier church was revealed. Further work is planned. <4> Awaiting final report on subsequent work.
A programme of geophysical survey was conducted in 1997 by GUARD in Wardlaw Old Churchyard, Kirkhill, in an attempt to detect any buried structures associated with the site of the medieval chapel or any earlier archaeological activity. The results proved largely uninformative due to geological conditions and severe ground disturbance. <5>
Photographs of the building were taken by M Briscoe. <6>
NH54NW0179 Graveyard (see MHG31356)
J Aitken : 09/12/02
<1> Wallace, T, 1911, 'Notes on some sculptured slabs and headstones in the churchyards of Glenconvinth and Kirkhill, Inverness-shire', pp 311-2 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1207.
<2> Wallace, T, 1886, Notes on ancient remains in the Beauly Valley, Inverness-shire, p 352 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1192.
<3> Jolly, W, 1882, On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands, p 376 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1317.
<4> Wordsworth, J., 1997, Wardlaw Mausoleum: An interim report on the archaeological results of recosntruction work at this site (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG21714.
<5> Abernethy, D., 1997, Wardlaw Old Churchyard, Kirkhill by Inverness: A resistivity survey for Hall and Tawse and Wardlaw Mausoleum Trust (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG21713.
<6> Briscoe, J M, 2008-11, Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe, via Flickr (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23810.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Wallace, T. 1911. 'Notes on some sculptured slabs and headstones in the churchyards of Glenconvinth and Kirkhill, Inverness-shire'. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 45. 309-14. pp 311-2.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Wallace, T. 1886. Notes on ancient remains in the Beauly Valley, Inverness-shire. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 20. 340-55. p 352.
- <3> Text/Publication/Article: Jolly, W. 1882. On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 16. 300-401. p 376.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J.. 1997. Wardlaw Mausoleum: An interim report on the archaeological results of recosntruction work at this site. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 20/05/2002. Paper and Digital.
- <5> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Abernethy, D.. 1997. Wardlaw Old Churchyard, Kirkhill by Inverness: A resistivity survey for Hall and Tawse and Wardlaw Mausoleum Trust. Glasgow University (GUARD). 20/05/2002. Paper and Digital.
- <6> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5495 4570 (30m by 15m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (3)
- http://dx.doi.org/10.5284/1000184 (The Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Scanning Project)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7815 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12699 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.