MHG33396 - Graveyard, Porin, Milton
Graveyard, Porin, Milton
Type and Period (2)
- CEMETERY (18th Century to 20th Century - 1701 AD to 2000 AD)
- BURIAL GROUND (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Marked on 1st ed OS irregular rectangular feature with rounded corners. Still there but with second enclosure to S - HAW 6/2004
The older portion of the graveyard is an irregular rectangle, built of large unmortared stones. Line of trees within its boundary that look c150years old. There are a series of graves from 19th century to the mid C20. There is a modern extension to the S on a lower terrace before the slope drops steeply down to the river. All the moderrn graveyard waste (including grave infill) is being dumped over the edge of the slope. It is possible that the older portion of the graveyard was much larger, there is an area of sligthtly higher ground to its east (northern area has new trees on it) to give an oval shape. Equally the area uphill to the N could indicate a large extent in this direction also. No trace of a chapel building - central area of current cemetery totally graved over in the C19th. - HAW 03/2005
Old graveyard in a rural setting with a 20th century extension. No church in use or redundant. The older burial ground lies to the north of the more recent extension, on higher ground. The ground inside the older part is very uneven and slopes towards the southern boundary wall. Visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. <1><2>
The place name Porin is one of the best preserved examples in Scotland of the Pictish word so common in the aspirated form 'four,' e.g., Pit-four, Doch-four. The root is that seen in the Welsh 'pori,' to graze, eat. The Strathconon Porin is a flat piece of land by the river side. Cladh Phorainn, Porin graveyard, was formerly Cladh Meinn, Main graveyard, and one good authority says that he has heard it called Cladh Ceann-loch-Beannacharan, but this is probably a contusion with the graveyard at the west end of that loch. <3>
1161 Burial ground (Figure 15) – centred on NH 3087 5526 (SMR No – NH35NW0021) There are two parts to this burial ground which was recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project.. The older portion has the shape of an irregular rectangle. It is surrounded by a large unmortared stone wall with a line of mature trees internally and has an even spread of graves from the 19th century up to mid 20th century; no trace of a chapel building could be seen but the central area was slightly raised. To the south a more modern graveyard is surrounded by a fence. The former name for this burial ground is Cladh Meinn and it is possible that it is of great antiquity. <4>
- <1> SHG25133 Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <2> SHG25134 Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
- <3> SHG22656 Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W. J.. 1904. Place Names of Ross & Cromarty 1904. Watson, W. J. The Northern Counties Printing & Pub Company Ltd.. Paper (Original). p.155.
- <4> SHG24904 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Three Loch Meig to Dalbreac: February 2008 to June 2008, August 2009 to October 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. 0.41 Site 1161.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3087 5523 (44m by 49m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/308517 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.