MHG3341 - Ring ditch - NE of Teanlonaig, Wester Balblair
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- RING DITCH (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NH 509 453. Air photography has revealed the crop-mark of a ring-ditch 330 m NE of Teanlonaig farmhouse (Visible on RCAHMS air photographs IN 3208-10, flown 1977). It measures about 9m in diameter within a ditch about 1 m wide. <1>
A second ring ditch lies to the south (see MHG22672).
Both ring ditches were seen in the results of a geophysical survey undertaken by Aberdeen University in 2017 (details awaited). <2>
- --- Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 20, No. 132.
- <2> Personal communication: Scrivener-Lindley, I.. 2022. Balblair ring ditches. Highland Council.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5098 4539 (24m by 24m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12692 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.