MHG3342 - Military Camp, Balblair
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MILITARY CAMP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Thumbnail Photo supplied by D Mason, 2004
NH54NW 3 53 45
See also NH54NW 45.
There are turf enclosures, apparently the remains of a military encampment, known locally as 'Balnashee' or 'Town of the Fairies' in the middle of a wood, on the south side of the River Beauly, at Beauly Ferry. These are locally believed to be the remains of Middleton's camp, used when his army followed Montrose's retreat to the wood of Fairly (c.1645) two miles above Beauly, after a skirmish at Inverness (NH44NE 2). Montrose broke his camp, which was in view of Middleton's across the river after three days, but Middleton is thought to have remained longer.
Information from OS (ESS), 25 November 1964.
No further information.
Visited by OS (N K B) 22 October 1964.
Martin Briscoe has uploaded photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. The images are linked directly to this record, but follow the link to the Flickr group (at the bottom of this record) to see further comments. <1>
ISSFC, 1888, 'Excursion to Kirkhill, Beauly, and Struy', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 2 1880-3, p.227-36, 234-6 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG769.
Maclean, A, 1975, Battle, murder and sudden death, 202-3 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG3176.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region, 25, no. 194 (Text/Report). SHG2673.
<1> Briscoe, J M, 2008-11, Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe, via Flickr (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23810.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 25, no. 194.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Maclean, A. 1975. Battle, murder and sudden death. SHG2345. 199-213. 202-3.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: ISSFC. 1888. 'Excursion to Kirkhill, Beauly, and Struy', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 2 1880-3, p.227-36. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 227-36. 234-6.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5299 4500 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG3342 (View images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12689 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.