MHG3345 - Findspot of symbol stone - Balblair
Class I symbol stone bearing a triple oval over a crescent and V-rod, found during garden digging. Now in Inverness Museum.
Type and Period (1)
- INSCRIBED STONE (Pictish to Early Medieval - 300 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
NH54NW 16 5101 4528.
This stone now in Inverness Museum (1980.14) was found in a garden at Wester Balblair, Beauly in 1969; a sandstone slab, it bears the triple oval symbol and a crescent and V-rod. (Inverness Museum, see NH64NE138.3)
A D Cameron 1969; RCAHMS 1979 and 1985. <1>-<4>
The findspot, at NH 5105 4538, was indicated by Mr. P. Boa, Wester Balblair, who found the stone while digging in his garden in June 1969. The stone measures 0.71m x 0.45m x 0.11m.
Visited by OS 1st April 1970.
Class I symbol stone bearing a triple oval over a crescent and V-rod.
A.Mack1997 p.111 <5>
Included in a catalogue of the Pictish Symbol Stones at Inverness Museum & Art Gallery, original version 1994, updated 2010. A complete crescent & V-rod symbol, with spearhead and forked terminals to the V-rod. Three conjoined ovals sit above.<6> <7>
The stone is listed under Acc. No. 1980.014 in the Inverness Museum catalogue. <8>
- --- SHG2357 Text/Publication/Volume: Jackson, A. 1984. The symbol stones of Scotland: a social anthropological resolution to the problem of the Picts. 30.
- <1> SHG1818 Text/Publication/Article: Cameron, A D. 1969. 'Wester Balblair, Beauly, symbol stone', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1969, p.28. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 28. 28.
- <2> SHG1349 Text/Publication/Article: Cameron, A D. 1971. 'Pictish symbol stone at Wester Balblair, Beauly, Invernesshire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 101 1968-9, p.288-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 288-9. 288-9.
- <3> SHG2673 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 25, No. 186.
- <4> SHG2712 Text/Publication/Volume: Ritchie, J N G. 1985. Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985. 11.
- <5> SHG2456 Text/Publication/Volume: Mack, A. 1997. Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones. p.111.
- <6> SHG2304 Collection/Catalogue: Hanley, R G. 1994. A catalogue of the Class I Pictish symbol stones in the collections of Inverness Museum and Art Gallery. 12.
- <7> SHG25069 Text/Publication/Booklet: Inverness Museum. 2010. A Catalogue of the Pictish Symbol Stones at Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Paper (Copy).
- <8> SHG25836 Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 1980.014.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5100 4527 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SYMBOL STONE (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12674 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.