MHG33504 - Eilean Nan Cearc, Culcain
A misreading of the placename on the Ordnance Survey map led to a suggestion that this was an early chapel site. This has now been corrected.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) CHURCH (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- NATURAL FEATURE (Undated)
- None recorded
Large circular feature marked beside river on 1st ed OS map. Called Kilean nan Cearc. Probably gives its name to the nearby farm & mill Culcain. "Cill" element indicates that it may be a possible early chapel site - HAW 6/2004
Information from ARCH Pathways into the Past Evanton:
This seems to be a misreading of Eilean nan Cearc, which appears both on the current edition of the OS map and the First edition map (1874). Frank Maclennan gives the name as Alan na Circe, Bog of the Hen (nd., 95).
Maclennan, F., nd. Ferindonald Papers. Evanton: Ross and Cromarty Heritage Society. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6082 6621 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.