MHG3370 - BA Flat Axehead - Dores
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A flat bronze axe (Coles' type Ba) from Dores (village centred NH 598 346) was purchased for RMS (NMAS) in 1888 (Acc No: DA 57).
PSAS 1889; J M Coles 1969.
(Flat axe of Migdale type). Single find. Flat axe, smooth, cleaned, brown (?), butt broken; length 139mm, butt 32mm, cutting edge 84mm, weight 340 gms. NMAS DA 57.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
This axehead was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned an Early Bronze Age date. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1971. 'Scottish Early Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 101 1968-9, p.1-110. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 1-110. 82.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Junghans, Sangmeister and Schroder, S, E and M. 1968. Studien zu den Anfangen der Metallurgie II: Kupfer und Bronze in der fruhen Metallzeit Europas. pt. 2.3, no. 7366.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DA 57.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 40, no. 132.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1889. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 23 1888-9, p.7-23, 94-7, 121-5,143-53, 234-40, 270-5. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 7-23, 94-7, 121-5,143-53,. 7.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 22.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5900 3400 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12616 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.