MHG33736 - Hut circle, The Ord
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Hut circle marked on modern OS and 1st ed OS - HAW 8/2004
Noted during topographic survey in Spring 2010. A hut circle is situated on a prominent knoll some 120m to the SE of The Ord summit. It measures 11m by 13m internally and is defined by stony banks spread to 2.5m wide and up to 0.6m high. The entrance is in the SE quadrant marked by one of three gaps in the wall in this region. The structure is largely covered in heather. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Leaflet: Wickham Jones C; Harden J. 2000. The Ord, Lairg: Archaeological Trail.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Wickham Jones C. The Ord, Lairg A Journey Back in Time.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dalland, M. 05/2010. A Topographic Archaeological Survey of the Ord Prehistoric Landscape: Lairg, North Highland. Headland Archaeology Ltd. Digital. Site HA10.6.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5750 0552 (17m by 21m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1812 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.