MHG33741 - Hut circle, The Ord
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Hut circle recorded by pupils of Lairg school 10/2004. Appears to be break in walling on the NW (not SE) identified as possible entrance - HAW 10/2004
Hut circle marked on modern OS - HAW 8/2004
Recorded during topographic survey carried out in Spring 2010. Hut circle located within a large sub-rectangular enclosure on the SE facing slopes of The Ord. It is defined by stony banks spread to 2.5m wide and up to 0.6m high. A later bank runs ENE to WSW and over the wall at the S side of the hut circle. The bank extends beyond the hut circle on both sides and can be traced for 29m. Built up against the bank and the inner SE wall of the hut circle are two rectangular buildings 2m apart 2m wide by 3.5m and 4.5m long defined by stony banks 0.3m high and 1m to1.5m wide. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Leaflet: Wickham Jones C; Harden J. 2000. The Ord, Lairg: Archaeological Trail.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Wickham Jones C. The Ord, Lairg A Journey Back in Time.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dalland, M. 05/2010. A Topographic Archaeological Survey of the Ord Prehistoric Landscape: Lairg, North Highland. Headland Archaeology Ltd. Digital. Site HA11.6.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5758 0530 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1812 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.