MHG338 - Cave, Tigh Na Baintighearna
Cave containing evidence of human occupation, including a EBA axehead and a large number of animal bones.
Type and Period (1)
- CAVE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
An Early Bronze Age axe (Coles' type Ba) was found in a cave on the mountainside behind Ardgour House (NM 9954 6382), in which were also a large number of bones of deer, sheep, and other animals. It was donated to the NMAS in 1871 by A MacLean of Ardgour (Acc No: DA 52).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1873; J M Coles 1971.
This axe probably came from the only cave known in the locality, at NM 9850 8357. It is published as "Tigh na Baintighearna" on OS 6"map, 2nd ed., (1902), but is now locally known as Lady Margaret's Cave after an ancestor of the MacLeans of Ardgour. It is a roughly rectangular platform measuring c. 5.0m x c. 3.5m, constructed in a rocky cleft, with its S edge retained by a wall of boulders, and partly overhung by a naturally fallen boulder, forming a crude shelter. The rear of the "cave" is retained by recent random stonework.
Visited by OS (A A) 7 May 1970.
(Flat axe of Migdale type). Single find, found in a cave behind Ardgour House. Flat axe, rough, green; length 144mm, butt 34mm, cutting edge 84mm, weight 375 gms. NMAS DA 52.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1971. 'Scottish Early Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 101 1968-9, p.1-110. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 1-110. 82.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Junghans, Sangmeister and Schroder, S, E and M. 1968. Studien zu den Anfangen der Metallurgie II: Kupfer und Bronze in der fruhen Metallzeit Europas. pt. 2.3, no. 7363.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 40, no. 119.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1873. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum', (And exhibits)', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 9 1870-2, p.5-12,53-9,78-81,153-7,179-85,219-23,238-49,. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 5-12,53-9,78-81,153-7,179. 182.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 9850 6357 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/23337 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.