MHG33879 - Culcairn Bridge - Evanton, Kiltearn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The Reverend Robertson in the OSA states ‘ the new bridge over Aultgrande is remarkably neat, and well finished, and does credit to Mr Kyle, the architect, who built it.’ (1791, 284). <1>
It is called Culcairn Bridge on the OS First edition map (1874, Sheet LXV.13). <2>
The bridge in Evanton was designed by John Smeaton and built in 1777. The original structure can still be seen from underneath the North bridge.
Ross & Cromarty - A Historical Guide by D Alson, 1999
J Aitken: 14/09/04
- <1> SHG25860 Text/Publication/Volume: Robertson, H. 1791. The First Statistical Account of Scotland, Vol. 1. 'Kiltearn' pp. 259-300.
- <2> SHG25319 Dataset/Database File: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 05/2011. Digital site gazetteer for ARCH Pathways into the Past project: Evanton. Yes. MDB. Site 3.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6084 6634 (19m by 19m) (2 map features)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.