MHG3396 - Belladrum South
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH54SW 8 5160 4158.
(NH 5160 4158) Stone Circle (OE)
Belladrum South: Chambered cairn, possibly of Orkney-Cromarty type, with a polygonal chamber.
Five upright stones remain forming part of a circle 8 ft. in diameter. The heights of the stones from south to NE are: 3'3", 3'6", 2'6", 3'9" and 3'9". The field has been ploughed up to the bases of the stones and there is now no sign of any other structure.
A S Henshall 1963, visited 13 April 1957
This chambered cairn is as described above.
Re-surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (N K B) 14 December 1964.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 8, No. 7.
- --- Collection/Catalogue/Gazetteer: Thom, Thom and Burl, A, A S and [H] A [W]. 1980. Megalithic rings: plans and data for 229 monuments in Britain. 81. 262-3.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. Vol. 1, 366.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Belladrum Farm, chambered cairn. Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Ch. Cairn, Belladrum Farm, '92. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5159 4158 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3194 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12750 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.