MHG3409 - Lowerbog
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH54SW 12 5236 4038.
At NH 5236 4038 are several boulders (Mrs T Fraser, Auchvaich, Kiltarlity, Inverness-shire) constituting the ruinous chamber of an otherwise destroyed Orkney-Cromarty cairn. The remains are fragmentary but the chamber seems likely to have been rectangular.
Only four stones are upright, one of these 'D' possibly not in situ, and nine others are fallen. The two westerly uprights are a pair of transverse slabs bisecting the chamber and forming the E side of a rectangular compartment whose other sides have probably been formed by slabs 'A', 'B', and 'C', now fallen or pushed outwards. Another fallen slab inside this compartment may have been a lintel. The other upright slab to the NE appears to be a portal stone.
The cairn material has been removed since before Fraser's father's time but occasional stones under the leaf mould and several quarry pits around the chamber suggest its original diameter was about 16.0m. About 120.0m to the SE on the S side of the road are about half a dozen denuded stone clearance heaps of the type usually found with hut circles.
Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.
Enlargement at 1:125 scale.
Visited by OS (I S S) 10 April 1973.
Member of public, 09/2007, Cairn, Bog Road, Kiltarlity, Looking E,N,W (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23742.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region, 9, No. 26; 13, No. 61 (Text/Report). SHG2673.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Member of public. 09/2007. Cairn, Bog Road, Kiltarlity, Looking E,N,W. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 26; 13, No. 61.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5236 4038 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:4744 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4744 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12736 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.