MHG3424 - South Clunes - Lime Kiln
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- LIME KILN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NH54SE 24 5542 4145.
This well-preserved lime-kiln stands 90m ENE of the bridge carrying the Moniack to Convinth road over the Allt a' Choilich; it measures 8.2m in height, the kiln chamber having a mouth-diameter of 2.1m. Limestone may have supplied from a quarry 100m to the south.
RCAHMS 1979, visited April 1979.
The monument comprises the remains of a large, well preserved lime kiln which was built in about 1765. The base measurements on its NW side are 7.6m in width with a stoke hole 2.3m high and 2.75m wide.
It stands 8.3m high with a central shaft 2.5m in diameter and 5.0m
deep now being choked with rubbish. 125m to the south is the old lime quarry.
Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated October 1992.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 13. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 259-60,265,271.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 14. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 277.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 29, No. 237.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5541 4145 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5416 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12721 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.