MHG34286 - Findspot of axehead, Leanach, Culloden
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Undated)
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Wed 13 Oct 2004
NH74SW 44 748 448
NH 748 448 A fragment of the butt end of a flanged axe, green/brown in colour with one side severely worn.
P Weeks and J Munro 1998.
Fragment of a flanged axehead from Leanach, Culloden, now in Inverness Museum (Discovery & Excavation Scotland 1998 p. 50)
The following information is from Jeanette Pearson, Inverness Museum and Art Gallery:
MBA flanged axe fragment
INVMG 1998.003 (TT 31/97) found Leanach, Culloden.
Metal detector find, found in a field under pasture at a depth of 6 inches below the surface in 1997.
Copper alloy. Fragment of the butt end, butt incomplete. One side is close to its original shape, the other side is very worn. The fragment surface is pitted, and no original metal surface remains.
max length 55mm, width at butt 22mm, height of more complete flange 27mm.
Weight: 77.5g <1>
This is possibly the same find as that recorded under MHG29556. <2>
Various, 2011, Photographs of sites in the Culloden area submitted by Culloden WEA Class, Site 2 (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25334.
<1> Workers Education Association, 05/2011, Digital site gazetteer supplied by Culloden WEA Class via Susan Kruse, Site 2 (Dataset/Database File). SHG25318.
<2> Tilbury, S, Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer (Verbal Communication). SHG23297.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Various. 2011. Photographs of sites in the Culloden area submitted by Culloden WEA Class. Colour. Yes. Digital. Site 2.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: Workers Education Association. 05/2011. Digital site gazetteer supplied by Culloden WEA Class via Susan Kruse. Yes. MDB. Site 2.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7480 4479 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/BTL6 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/139052 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.