MHG34454 - Tanged flint projectile, Tain beach
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
Exceptional tanged flint projectile point found on the beach at Tain in April 1998 by Margaret Urquhart. Length 77mm; breadth 16mm; thickness 5mm; weight 5g. White external colour, ?porcelain? Quality, and in perfect condition except for slight modern nicks along the lateral edges. Probably recently eroded by the sea from shelly sand deposits at rear of beach. This artefact is the only example known from Scotland of a Scandinavian Neolithic class B tanged point, and its presence at Tain is enigmatic. Thanks are due to Estelle Quick of Tain Museum and Patricia Weeks of Inverness Museum for assistance in reporting this find, which is under consideration for Treasure Trove. <1>
The object was allocated by Treasure Trove (TT 144/98) to the NMS. It is listed in the NMS catalogue under Acc. No. 1999.24 and ABB 4. <2> <3>
Brief discussion and a sketch of the point is made within K. Walker's 2015 PhD thesis. The point is unique in Britain, and although the possiblility of it being an authentic import cannot be ruled out, given the lack of contextual information for the point, limited conclusions can be drawn from about this object. <4>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Saville, A.. 1998. 'Tain (Tain parish), flint projectile point', Discovery Excav Scot, 1998. Discovery Excavation Scotland. 62. Online. pp. 62. XY
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 144/98.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. 1999.24, ABB 4.
- <4> Text/Manuscript: Walker, K. 2015. Axe-heads and Identity: an investigation into the roles of imported axe-heads in identity formation in Neolithic Britain. University of Southampton. Digital. Pp. 185-9.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7980 8310 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- POINT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.tainmuseum.org.uk/imagelibrary/picture/number408.asp (Link to photo on Tain Museum website)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/140098 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.