MHG3466 - Dhuallow - Chambered Cairn
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- STONE CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NH62NW 3 644 267.
(NH 6426) A possible Clava cairn was situated at Duhallow of Aberarder. (A S Henshall 1963) It was described by Fraser (J Fraser 1884) as a stone circle which was entirely cleared away by agricultural improvements c. 1860 - "It showed indications of a small internal chamber and cairn, built on the inner circle ... no dimensions can now be got".
(NH 644267) Site of a chambered cairn indicated on OS 6" annotated map. J Fraser 1884; A S Henshall 1963.
No remains were seen in the area indicated.
Visited by OS (R D L) 11 September 1963.
There is no trace of a chambered cairn at NH 644 267 which lies in an area that has been partially cleared for cultivation.
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 18 March 1993.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1994. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Upper Strathnairn, Inverness: an archaeological survey: summary report. .
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 358, INV 1.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Fraser, J. 1884. 'Descriptive notes on the stone circles of Strathnairn and neighbourhood of Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 18 1883-4, p.328-62. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 328-62. 328, 331.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6439 2670 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13099 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.