MHG3467 - Crannog - Loch Ruthven
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CRANNOG? (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
NH62NW 4 6038 2757 AND 634 281.
An island in Loch Ruthven thought to be artificial was surveyed and photographed by R M'Lean and found to be circular, 57' in diameter, standing about 4' above the average level of the loch. It was said locally that a causeway could be seen on a clear day leading to a peculiar hill or mound on the shore S of the island.
F O Blundell 1913.
The OS 6" 1903 does not show an island in Loch Ruthven, but the 1875 edition shows one at NH 6038 2758. Rivet, however, refers to a crannog in the area NH 633 281 (NH62NW 68), at the other end of the loch. (Information from Mr E Meldrum, Inverness to OS)
OS 6"map annotated by A L F Rivet, May 1963.
Local enquiries revealed that there is a small island in Loch Ruthven within an area centred NH 634 281 (NH62NW 68). The loch is at present at flood level, the island apparently lying under 2' of water and not visible from the shore. No further information received from Mr Meldrum
Visited by OS (E G C) 9 September 1963.
The island described and illustrated by Blundell is at NH 6038 2757. It was inaccessible at the time of investigation, but, as seen from the shore, is undoubtedly artificial. There is no trace on the ground or on APs of a causeway to the shore. The "peculiar hill or mound" described by Blundell is a natural knoll named Tom Buidhe, at NH 6043 2740.
The island centred at NH 634 281 mentioned by OS field surveyor (E G C) was flooded at the time of visit, but from the AP it appears too small to be a crannog. (Visible on OS air photograph OS.67.198.011)
Visited by OS (N K B) 20 March 1970.
See link below to HES Canmore record for photos of the site.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Prom. Fort(?), Tom Buidhe.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
- --- Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Blundell, F O. 1913. 'Further notes on the artificial islands in the Highland area', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 47 1912-13, p.257-302. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 257-302. 269-70; fig. 6.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Loch Ruthven, crannog. Digital Image. .
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6036 2758 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:11476 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM11476 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13100 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.