MHG34887 - Beechwood Farm, Inverness
An early 19th century farmstead with subsequent alterations and extensions.
Type and Period (2)
- FARM (19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1850 AD?)
- FARMSTEAD (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1850 AD? (at some time))
- None recorded
The Dictionary of Scottish Architects lists a periodical reference to work by Ross & Macbeth (Inverness Courier Aug. 2, 1904) at "Beechwood, farmsteading (Raigmore estate)". <1>
The newspaper article reads: "To Builders - Tenders wanted for the Mason, Carpenter, Slater, Plumber, Painter and Glazier, and Iron and Blacksmith Works of New Farm Steading at Beechwood, Raigmore Estate, Inverness. Plans and Specifications to be seen with Messrs Ross & Macbeth, architects; and Sealed Tenders to be lodged with them on or before Friday, 12th curt. The lowest or any offer may not be accepted.". <2>
This farmstead was recorded by AOC Archaeology Group in 2010 prior to its demolition in advance of mixed use development. The farm appears to have originally been built in the early 19th century as a range of steadings around a central square. This layout was subsequently altered and expanded to create a main cattle and bull byre complex to the west with a large tractor shed and cow byre to the east. Additional smaller buildings are located to the north comprising a former stables block and an office. The farmhouse is located some distance away from the main steading to the north‐east and is a three‐bay two‐storey farmhouse with a single‐storey annexe to the rear. Cartographic evidence shows that the farmhouse first appears in the 1870s Ordnance Survey map, although it could well be contemporary with the earliest parts of the main farm steading. <2>
The Phase 3 extensions, as per the above report, presumably correspond with the work by Ross & Macbeth mentioned in <1> and <2>. <4>
- <1> SHG23883 Interactive Resource/Online Database: Dictionary of Scottish Architects 1840-1980.
- <2> SHG25175 Text/Publication/Serial: Ross & Macbeth Architects. 08/1904. Notice in Inverness Courier 2 August 1904. Jpg (scanned).
- <3> SHG25173 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Sproat, D. 11/2010. East Beechwood Farm, Inverness: Historic Building Recording Report. AOC Archaeology Group. Digital.
- <4> SHG23297 Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 16/02/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6915 4481 (212m by 207m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.