MHG35033 - Site of building, NW bank of North Garvan River
A small square structure depicted as unroofed on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1875.
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (16th Century to 19th Century - 1560 AD to 1872 AD)
- None recorded
NM97NE 12 969 765
An unroofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875, sheet x), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 15 April 1998
A small very rudimentary structure, 4.10m NE-SW by 4m and almost square plan, has been built into a low slope on the NW bank of the North Garvan River. Only the SW and SE walls remain, completely overgrown with bracken. The structure was recorded as an abandoned building in 1872. It is recommended that this structure be preserved. <1>
This structure was marked with a row of canes and coloured flags in advance of the works. <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Robertson, J G. 03/2008. An Archaeological Survey of Part of Garvan, Conaglen Estate, Lochaber. Jennifer G Robertson. Digital. Site 2.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Robertson, J G. 06/2009. An Archaeological Assessment at the Proposed Hydro Scheme at Garvan, Lochaber. Jennifer G Robertson. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 9693 7656 (15m by 12m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/145137 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.