MHG35120 - Milton Burn
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) SITE (Undated)
- PEN (Undated)
- None recorded
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Wed 13 Oct 2004
NH91SW 52 9349 1397
A crescent-shaped stone built structure, lying on a NE-facing slope on Creag Phitiulais, was recorded during a pre-afforestation survey at Craig Pityoulish and Craiggowrie. Of drystone construction, it comprises a battered wall spread to 1.6m at the base narrowing to 1.1m at the top and standing 1.3m high in the centre tapering down to ground level at either end. A small, possibly later, ancillary structure is constructed within the arc on the E. Although of uncertain function, the structure appears to be of relatively recent date, and may be associated with field sports on the Pityoulish Estate during the 19th century. The ancillary structure may be an animal pen.
T Holden and M Dalland (Headland Archaeology) 25 June 1999; NMRS MS 899/170, no.13
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9349 1397 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/157915 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.