MHG352 - Acharacle Parish Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
J Aitken : 11/02/03
NM66NE 2 6754 6835.
(NM 6754 6835) Parish Church, Acharacle: This parliamentary church, which was completed in 1829, is rectangular on plan, measuring 16.2m from N to S by 9.4m transversely over all. In its omission of a wing, it departs from the standard plan prepared under the supervision of Thomas Telford, but the principal elevation conforms exactly to the published design, having two large Y-traceried windows with four-centred arch-heads, flanked by entrance-doors. The masonry is of local rubble, harled except for the E wall, with dressings and bell-cot of sandstone. The interior has been remodelled, and the roof-structure has evidently been renewed at a recent date.
RCAHMS 1980, visited 1973.
S Hackett and N Livingston 1984.
- --- SHG2660 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1980. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Argyll: an inventory of the monuments volume 3: Mull, Tiree, Coll and Northern Argyll (excluding the early medieval and later monuments of Iona). . 123, No. 254; illust..
- --- SHG3169 Text/Publication/Article: Hackett and Livingston, S and N. 1984. Scottish Parliamentary churches and their manses. SHG23465. 302-36. 326.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6753 6835 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB519 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22492 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.