MHG35228 - Possible drovers inn (An Immreadh), Allt Tigh Mhic Siarith
An unroofed building with an attached enclosure, recorded on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1875-6. Local tradition records that this building was an inn.
Type and Period (5)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- (Alternate Type) FARMSTEAD? (18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD? to 1878 AD)
- DROVERS INN? (Built, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD? to 1878 AD (at some time))
- COFFIN CAIRN? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- MILL? (Built, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD? to 1878 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Wed 13 Oct 2004
NM85SW 7 8218 5424
"..a ruin formerly a shebeen..'House of MacSory'.."
Name Book 1875
An unroofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875, sheet xlii), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 13 May 1998
An Immreadh. Perhaps 'Arymane' in the charter of 1509. It comprises the footings of a single rectangular building with associated field clearance and runrig close to the Allt Tigh Mhic Sionth (the burn of the house of the son of the sheriff). Kingairloch Estate was owned by a family called Sheriff from 1881 to 1902 but the building obviously predates that period. According to accurate local tradition this was an inn; judging by its axis and its proximity to the nearby stream it may also have been a mill. Opposite, and close to the old drove road, there are a number of 'funeral' resting cairns which may well confirm that it was indeed an inn.
(See Acts of the Lords of the Isles 1336-1493, Munro JM & RW, Edin 1986: Scottish History Society, 4th series, Vol 22;
Origines Parochiales Scotiae [Bannatyne Club] 1855;
Thornber lain, Dail na Cille, The Field of the Church, privately printed 2000.)
Site reported by Iain Thornber, 6/1/2002 <1>
This building is a visible ruin, aligned NW-SE and measuring 8m by 5m, with rounded corners. Attached to the west is an enclosure. Other features may be concealed by the bracken. This is presumably Tigh Mhic Siarith. This site would not be affected by the proposals. <2>
Given the entry in the Ordnance Survey Name Book (above) it is very likely that the building discussed in <1> and <2> are one and the same . The decision was therefore taken to merge the former record for the inn (MHG30917) with the current record. <3>
- <1> SHG23633 Verbal Communication: Member of public. SMR information. Iain Thornber, 06/01/2002.
- <2> SHG21709 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dagg, C. 12/2001. Archaeological Assessment of Areas Potentially Affected by Kingairloch Hydro Scheme, Kingairloch, Morvern. Catherine Dagg. 12/12/2001. Digital (scanned as PDF). site 12.
- <3> SHG23297 Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 82187 54240 (49m by 35m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/145345 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.