MHG3530 - Symbol stone, Clune Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- FINDSPOT (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
- INSCRIBED STONE (Pictish to Early Medieval - 300 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
NH63NW 13 6057 3542.
A flat stone, with the figure of a boar incised on one face was found " about thirty years before" when reclaiming waste land not far from a cottage on Clune Farm. When first found it was much larger but was broken in the excavation and then trimmed for use in the chimney-head of the cottage whence it was removed by the author. It now measures 22 inches by 16 1/2 inches by 7 inches in thickness.
J Anderson 1889.
The stone shows three legs and the middle portion of the body of a beast, probably wild boar, ornamented with spiral curves. It is now in the NMAS (Cat. No. IB 38).
J R Allen 1903; PSAS 1878.
The cottage mentioned by J Anderson is probably the one situated at NH 6057 3542.
Visited by OS (E G C) 20 March 1962.
A Class I symbol stone bearing a boar.
A.Mack 1997 p.31
Acquired by the NMS in 1878 from Colonel F. Tytler. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Anderson, J. 1889. 'Notices of some undescribed sculptured stones and fragments in different parts of Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 23 1888-9, p.344-55. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 344-55. 348; 347, fig. 4.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Allen and Anderson, J R and J. 1903. The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation. 97.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mack, A. 1997. Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones. 31.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1878. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 12 1876-8, p.11-12,58-63,88-91,118-21,183-85,207-15,258-77,374-404,567-71,598-603,613. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 11-12,58-63,88-91,118-21,. 498.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. IB 38.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6057 3541 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SYMBOL STONE (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-043-453-C& (Link to NMS online collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13163 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.