MHG3531 - Carn Glas

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)

Protected Status

Full Description

NH63NW 14 6493 3830.

(NH 6493 3830) Carn Glas {NR}
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1905)

These three cairns of the Orkney-Cromarty Group built on end along a small narrow ridge, one of a number which runs north to south across the area... The main body of the cairns is composed of naked small angular stones but the edges are overgrown and indistinct. The areas between the cairns are turf-covered but there is a low neck of cairn material below the turf connecting the cairns proper. In plan the cairns are more or less parallel sided with rounded ends. The north cairn measures 120 feet north to south and 57 feet across the chamber.
Thirty feet to the south lies the centre cairn measuring 76 feet north to south by 47 feet east to west. About thirty feet further south lies the last cairn, 124 feet long by 94 feet wide. The positioning of the chambers and the intermediate necks of cairn material suggest the cairns were regarded as a whole: the overall length is 380 feet. On the other hand, at the southend of the centre cairn there are a few earth-fast stones which suggest there may have been a peristalith of spaced stones encircling the individual cairns. In each of the cairns there is exposed part of a chamber. These all appear to be similar, rectangular in form and constructed of large flat slabs set on edge.
A S Henshall 1963, visited 11 April 1957; V G Childe 1944; ISSFC 1902.

Carn Glas: These cairns are as described above; and, as stated, appear on the ground as one unit, each separated by a short space of turf-covered debris. The cairns vary in height from c. 3.5m. on the south; c. 1.2.m centrally; to 2.0m on the north. Overall the mass measures 116m. N-S.
Revised at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (J L D) 21 March 1962.


Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph). SHG3858.


Kennedy, E, 02/2005, Carn Glas Chambered Cairns (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23735.


ISSFC, 1902, 'Excursion to Essich and Bunachton', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 5 1895-9, p.177-9, 178 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG764.


Childe, V G, 1944, 'An unrecognised group of chambered cairns', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 78 1943-4, p.26-38, 36-7; fig. 7, pl. II, 1, 2 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG175.


Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 376-7, INV 31; plan, fig. 95 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.


Hanley, R and Sheridan, A, 1994, 'A beaker cist from Balblair, near Beauly, Inverness District', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 124, pp 129-39, p 137 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG21.

Sources/Archives (6)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6493 3830 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH63NW
Civil Parish INVERNESS AND BONA
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.