MHG35390 - Barrow cemetery - Mains of Garten
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BARROW CEMETERY (Undated)
- None recorded
NH92SE 54 9605 2034 centred on NH 9605 2034
The cropmarks of a barrow cemetery with at least 12 round and square barrows has been revealed by oblique aerial photography (RCAHMSAP 1995) scattered across two fields 500m NW of Mains of Garten farmsteading (NH92SE 44). There are at least six square barrows measuring about 4-7m across. The internal diameters of the round barrows, visible mainly in the SW field are approximately 8-10m. At least nine of the barrows have a visible central pit, which may represent burials.
Information from RCAHMS (KJ) 28 July 1999.
Aerial photo available on CANMORE website, and published in RCAHMS publication 'The Historic Landscape of the Cairngorms' p. 19. <1>
The site is included in a broad discussion of Pictish cemeteries in Inverness-shire, Moray and Aberdeenshire. <2>
- <1> SHG25666 Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2012. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Boat of Garten. Yes. Digital. Site 49.
- <2> SHG29168 Text/Publication/Article: Mitchell, J. & Noble, G.. 2017. The Monumental Cemeteries of Northern Pictland. Medieval Archaeology Vol. 61/1. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9615 2028 (363m by 451m)|
|Civil Parish||ABERNETHY AND KINCARDINE|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/148256 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
- https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00766097.2017.1296031 (View Pictish cemeteries article online)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.