MHG35490 - Boathouse, Roshven House
A late 19th-century, rebuilt and extended as a dwelling in 1999.
Type and Period (3)
- BOAT HOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1850 AD? to 1877 AD? (at some time))
- BOAT HOUSE (Rebuilt, 20th Century - 1999 AD to 1999 AD)
- HOUSE (20th Century - 1999 AD to 1999 AD)
- None recorded
Ken Bowker reports that the boathouse was a ruin consisting of two walls when he first saw it in 1996. It is now a large one-bedroomed house, with the original boathouse rebuilt in situ - as a boathouse. <1>
Mary Miers describes the boathouse as "later 19th century, more than doubled in size, to create a smart residence by Roshven's recent owners, Stewart and Lynn Blair, who designed it themselves in collaboration with Mark Totten and builder Roddy Campbell, 1999". <2>
The boathouse is depicted on the 6 inch 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1873. <3>
<1> Bowker, K, 2011, Notes and corrections for various sites at Roshven (Text/Manuscript). SHG25452.
<2> Miers, M., 2008, The Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide, p 118 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG24310.
<3> Ordnance Survey, 1873-6, Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire (Image/Map). SHG23755.
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Bowker, K. 2011. Notes and corrections for various sites at Roshven. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Miers, M.. 2008. The Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. Paperback. p 118.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 7059 7886 (22m by 25m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/168571 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.