MHG35519 - WWII Royal Navy underground oil tanks - Inchindown
The WWII Royal Navy underground oil tanks at Inchindown, constructed between 1938 and 1943 to supply the naval base at Invergordon. Listed at Category A in 2014.
Type and Period (2)
- SILO (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- FUEL TANK (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
The Royal Navy underground oil tanks to supply Invergordon are situated upslope from Inchindown farmsteading. There are two stone and concrete built entrances in the conifer plantation with the tanks tunnelled into the hillside. A pipeline was built from here to the Invergordon base and elements of this can still be traced to Tomich (NH67SE 53), and beyond to the oil tanks at Invergordon. <1>
Martin Briscoe has uploaded more than 200 photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. See link at the bottom of this record. <2>
The site was assessed by the Listings and Designed Landscapes Team of Historic Scotland for potential listing in 2013. <3>
The site was listed at Category A by Historic Scotland in 2014. <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Guy, J. A.. 2000. Highland Region: A Survey of the 20th Century Defences. Historic Scotland. 30/01/2001. Digital (scanned as PDF). Vol.2, 116, Vol.3, 37.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <3> Text/Report: Listing and Designed Landscape Team. 2014. Assessment Against the Listing Criteria: Underground Fuel Reservoirs, Inchindown, near Invergordon, Highland Council. Historic Scotland. Digital.
- <4> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Fraser, D. 2014. Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, One Hundred and Seventy Fifth Amendment) 2014. Historic Scotland. 21/11/2014. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6885 7466 (372m by 419m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB52317 (View on-line designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/mhg35519/ (See photographs of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/173294/ (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.