MHG3556 - Dunlichity
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HERMITAGE (RELIGIOUS) (Undated)
- None recorded
NH63SE 1 65 32.
William the Lion, on his first visit to the north gave John the Hermit the island in the 'Lake of Lunnin' at the east'. 'Lunnin' is supposed to be Dunlichity, sometimes called 'Lunlichity'. The Gaelic name for the loch means 'Loch of the Church'. In the Chartulary of Moray are frequent references to a hermit's croft in Ardclach which is probably Daltra.
G Bain 1893.
There is no island now to be seen on "Loch a' Chlachain".
No further information was obtained.
Visited by OS (N K B) 10 March 1970.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6500 3200 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13189 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.