MHG3594 - Tordarroch
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Undated)
- None recorded
NH63SE 48 6803 3335
This settlement consists of a linear spread of rectangular buildings and field boundaries. All of the walls are very collapsed and have been robbed to build later field dykes; they generally are no more than a grassed over spread of stone c. 2.0-3.0m wide and no more than 1.0m high. In all, eight structures have been identified. For details, see report.
Information from S T Driscoll 1989 (see archive MS/550, 6)
About 380m ESE of Tordarroch House there are the remains of a township comprising at least four buildings, clearance cairns and the remains of field banks.
Three of the buildings (USN93 210, 219-20) are grouped around the remains of an enclosure. They are all aligned approximately N-S, and range from 12.1m to 17.5m in length by 4.9m to 6m in breadth over walls spread to as much as 1.6m in thickness. USN93 210 has a bedneuk projecting from its E side; to the N of this building there is the end of what may have been an earlier building, while 14m to the E is a small pen.
The fourth building (USN93 211) lies about 200m to the NE at NH 6820 3343, across boggy ground. It measures 12.5m from N to S by 5.8m over a stony bank spread to 1.1m in thickness. Immediately to the S of this, there is a single small pit, probably for storage. A stony bank runs NNE from the main group of buildings for about 240m, before turning towards the NW and dying out as it approaches an improved field. Around the point where it turns, there are a number of field clearance heaps, as described under NH63SE 45. To the SW of the buildings further stretches of bank define at least one field, which also contains a scatter of clearance heaps (NH63SE 46).
Two buildings identified by Driscoll (1989, 6, 1a and 1b) in this area are probably quarry scoops associated with the construction of a later drystone dyke. A map of Tordarroch, dating to c.1804, depicts a settlement here named 'Lackenow'. Three buildings are shown, on the edges of an enclosure, probably USN93 210 and 219-20 (SRO: RHP 1047). The first edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, 1875, sheet xx), shows two buildings, one roofed (probably USN93 210) and one, to the N of it, unroofed. They are not named. This settlement is not depicted on the second edition of the map (1905).
(USN93 210-11, 219-20).
Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 5 November 1992. <1>
This site was visited as part of a walkover survey in June 2009. It was partly identified and those were found to be as described. <2>
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1994. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Upper Strathnairn, Inverness: an archaeological survey: summary report. .
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: McCullagh, C. 08/2009. Daviot to Whitebridge: Overhead Line Refurbishment - Desk Based Assessment and Walk-over Survey. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital. F25, Photos 3258-60.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6800 3300 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13231 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.