MHG36001 - Trumpet Brooch - Skye, Dunan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 79 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Wed 13 Oct 2004
NG52NE 23 587 281
NG 587 281 A copper-alloy Romano-British trumpet brooch was found casually on the beach below a small dun at Dunan. Claimed as Treasure Trove (TT 138/97) and allocated to Skye and Lochalsh Area Museum.
F Hunter 1999
"Trumpet brooch with full acanthus knob flanked by mouldings. Catchplate broken recently; pin lost in antiquity. Slender bow and head; the bow is triangular-sectioned and plain with side-grooves. The footknob expands but is too badly worn to identify its form. The spring is intact although the pin is lost; it has six coils, held by a cast lug. The axis if formed by the wire from the separate headloop (the loop itself largely lost), held by a collar. L 54.5 mm; W (head) 16 mm (knob) 9.5mm; H 25 mm. Alloy: both brooch and spring are bronze with low levels of zinc and lead; the brooch has a surprisingly high nickel levels." (Hunter 2007, p. 75)
Hunter, Fraser 2007. Beyond the edge of the empire - Caledonians, Picts and Romans (Groam House Museum lecture), p. 75 <1>
Listed nder Acc. No. 1997.1 or 2005.2 in the Skye and Lochalsh Archive centre. <2>
This brooch is picture on Am Baile. See link below. <3>
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2012. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Broadford. Yes. Digital. Site 42.
- <2> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre. 1997.1 or 2005.2.
- <3> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Highland Council. 2010. Am Baile website. 12820.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 5870 2810 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
- TRUMPET BROOCH (Roman - 79 AD to 409 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/159543 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/search/do_quick_search.html?q=12820&mime_type= (Link to online Am Baile record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.