MHG3602 - Whorl and Flint Scraper - Dores
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Undated)
- None recorded
A small stone whorl and a flint scraper, from Dores were given to the Museum of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland in 1897, by the Rev. John E. Fraser of Dores.
The scraper, of white flint, was acquired by the NMS in 1896 (Acc. No. AB 579). The NMS catalogue also lists a spindle whorl of stone from Dores, acquired 1896, which may be the stone whorl donated by Rev. E. Fraser. (Acc. No. BE 274).
A spindle whorl of lead from Dores is also listed in the NMS catalogue, under Acc. No. BE 275. It was acquired in 1896 but it is unknown who from. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1897. 'Donations to and purchases for the museum and library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 31 1896-7, p.5-6, 78-80, 104-110, 153-6, 196-9, 230-40. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 5-6, 78-80, 104-110, 153-. 78.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AB 579, BE 274, BE 275.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6000 3400 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- SPINDLE WHORL (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13242 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.