MHG3615 - Stone axes and stone pestle or club - Loch Ashie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC?)
- None recorded
Two stone axes and a stone pestle or club found near Loch Ashie.
Precise findspot site unlocated.
Two stone axes, and a cylindrical-shaped implement of stone, evidently a pestle, or possibly a small club (D Cameron 1882) were found several years ago with another, smaller, axe in a cairn in a wood between Lochs Drumashie (NH 62 34) and Duntelchaig. They were donated to the NMAS, in April 1865 by Fountaine Walker of Foyers, Esq.
The two axes are of a fine grained dark green stone, possibly serpentine. One is 12 1/2 ins. long and 4 ins. across its cutting edge. The other is 9 1/2 ins. long and 2 1/2 ins. across its face. The butt of both axes tapers to a sharp point.
The cylindrical implement is of porphyritic stone, with its end rounded to blunt points. It is 11 ins. long and 2 1/2 ins. diameter.
PSAS 1868; D Cameron 1882.
It appears that much woodland in this area has been cleared during the past century and it is not possible to ascertain to which of the several cairns in this district the above reports appertain.
Visited by OS (R D L) 3 September 1963.
Two axes of Greenstone, 12 1/4" x 4" and 9 1/2" x 2 1/2" (AF 40-1), from a cairn in the parish of Daviot, Inverness-shire. Found together with a pounder or hammer stone (AK 1) acquired by the NMS from F. Walker in 1865. <1>
- --- SHG1266 Text/Publication/Article: Cameron, D. 1882. 'Notice of the Ancient circular dwellings, hill forts, and burial cairns of Strathnairn', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 16 1881-2, p.288-94. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 288-94. 288.
- --- SHG552 Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1868. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library plus exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 6 1864-6, p.7-14,41-8,86-91,109-14,178-83,203-10,233-39. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 7-14,41-8,86-91,109-14,17. 178-9.
- <1> SHG28278 Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AF 40-1, AK 1.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6200 3400 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
- AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- PESTLE? (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13257 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.