MHG36169 - Fire Command Post - Coast Battery, Site No. 4, South Sutor
Fire Command Post associated with the First World War (Site No. 4) 9.2 inch battery site at South Sutor. Later reused as a store during the Second World War.
Type and Period (3)
- COASTAL BATTERY COMMAND POST (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- STOREHOUSE (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- OBSERVATION POST? (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
NH86NW 11.04 81018 66991
The World War I battery observation post is a two-compartment building built of brick and concrete and is situated within the fence and to the W of the 9.2" gun battery. A brick built extension has been added to the front elevation and it is possible that this is not of WW I date. Internally, some wooden panelling survives.
Visited by RCAHMS (DE), August 2000
A single storey building which was annotated on a plan of the site as a 'Fire Commander & OP.R' (The National Archives WO 78/5192). A small extension to the front of the post has preserved some camouflage paint on the front wall below the observation windows. Replaced during rebuilding of the battery by the BOP post and Fire Command Post, it was used as a store.
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 23 July 2013.
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the World War One Survey Project. <1>
The building was included in the scheduling for the South Sutor Battery with effect from 29/04/2019. <2>
For other installation associated with the First World War (Site No.4 ) 9.2 inch Battery site, see also MHG35185, MHG36172, MHG36174, MHG46667, MHG59894.
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 170773.
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 460. XY
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2019. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13571: South Sutor Battery, batteries and camp. Historic Environment Scotland. 01/05/2019. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8101 6699 (12m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13571 (View online HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/170773 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.