MHG35185 - Gun Emplacement - Coast Battery, Site No. 4, South Sutor
9.2 inch gun emplacement for the First World War battery (Site No. 4) at South Sutor.
Type and Period (3)
- COASTAL BATTERY (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- GUN EMPLACEMENT (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- MAGAZINE (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
A gun emplacement for the First World War battery (Site No. 4) at South Sutor.
This World War I gun battery is situated within the area covered by the later World War II installations. Most of the buildings which comprise this earlier battery are extant within private land behind a metal fence. This is probably the most complete coast battery in Scotland. The World War I battery was armed with a single 9.2-inch gun which was manned by the Royal Navy. <1>
Coastal batteries on the headlands of North and South Sutor protected the port of Invergordon and the Cromarty Firth during the First and Second World Wars. Photographs show that construction of at least one gun emplacement, and associated buildings, began before the start of the First World War.
Information from RCAHMS (SC) 30 July 2007
An emplacement for a 9.2-inch gun built by the admiralty to a designed influenced by the mounting and operation of a heavy gun on a Royal Navy ship. The gun was mounted on an egg-shape barbette sunk into the concrete. Around the gun towards the Moray Firth side was an apron of concrete and a guard rail to stop the gun traversing too far to the west. The shells and cordite were hoisted up from the magazine below, as it would be on a ship. There are no ready ammunition lockers around the emplacement, so when operational the shells and cordite were passed up directly into the gun as required. The magazine lay below the gun emplacement, comprising two rooms and passageways with access via stairs to the rear. Originally some light was provided by windows to the shell store but these were later blocked up. Two doors entered the magazine, one into the shell store and one, via a lobby, into the magazine (cordite). The magazine did not have natural light and only light was provided by a electric safety lighting, enclosed behind glass in a recess in the wall beside a second doorway to a passageway between the shell store and the magazine, from which a further short passageway extended to the shaft containing the hoist to the gun.
On the south side of the gun emplacement was a crew shelter, a single room which once held a stove. Evidence of possible First World War camouflage is visible on the north wall of the crew shelter. <2>
GIS spatial data copied from datasupplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <3>
The gun emplacement was included in the scheduling for the South Sutor Battery with effect from 29/04/2019. <4>
- <1> SHG20874 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Guy, J. A.. 2000. Highland Region: A Survey of the 20th Century Defences. Historic Scotland. 30/01/2001. Digital (scanned as PDF). Vol.2, 88.
- <2> SHG23282 Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 170769.
- <3> SHG28062 Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 461. XY
- <4> SHG28206 Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2019. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13571: South Sutor Battery, batteries and camp. Historic Environment Scotland. 01/05/2019. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8105 6695 (24m by 27m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- Part of: Coastal Battery - South Sutor (Monument) (MHG8373)
- Related to: Engine House - Coastal battery, Site No. 4, South Sutor (Monument) (MHG36174)
- Related to: Fire Command Post - Coast Battery, Site No. 4, South Sutor (Monument) (MHG36169)
- Related to: Huts - Coast Battery, South Sutor (Monument) (MHG59894)
- Related to: Searchlight Battery - Coast Battery, Site No. 4, South Sutor (Monument) (MHG36172)
- Related to: Water Tank - Coast Battery, Site No. 4, South Sutor (Monument) (MHG46667)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13571 (View online HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/170769 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.