MHG59894 - Huts - Coast Battery, South Sutor
Huts associated with the First World War (Site No. 4) 9.2 inch battery site at South Sutor.
Type and Period (2)
- MILITARY CAMP (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- HUT (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- None recorded
A group of huts in varying stages of decay situated to the N and S of the access track within the fence.
The huts are visible on RAF vertical air photographs (106G/UK/751, 6035-6037, flown 31 August 1945).
Visited by RCAHMS (DE, SW), August 2000
In 1913 the South Sutor Battery (site no. 4) was designed to accommodate all the men and officers on the site, with living quarters, cook house and canteen, latrines, stores, workshop, sergeants office, water tank and a dry earth and coal store as shown on a final construction plan of the site (The National Archives WO 78/5192).
When the battery was rebuilt in advance of the Second World War, all the huts were demolished.
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 24 July 2013 <1>
NH 81029 66935 - WW1 Officer's accomodation hut
NH 81020 66954 and NH 80985 67043 - WW1 stores and one workshop
NH 81031 66895 - WW1 Petrol set and PF. Cell
NH 81014 66972 - WW1 Canteen
NH 81002 66963 - WW1 Cookhouse
NH 81008 66994 - WW1 Men and NCO's hut
NH 81000 67018 - WW1 Latrines
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <2>
See MHG46668 for the Second World War huts rebuilt at this location.
- --- Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2008. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 252687.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 252687.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 451-456. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8100 6696 (54m by 158m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/252687/south-sutor-coast-battery-huts (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.