MHG36174 - Engine House - Coastal battery, Site No. 4, South Sutor
Engine Houses associated with the First World War (Site No. 4) 9.2 inch battery site and Second World War 6 inch battery site at South Sutor.
Type and Period (1)
- ENGINE HOUSE (First World War to Second World War - 1914 AD to 1945 AD)
Field survey work has ascertained that this concrete and brick built building is an engine house (not a magazine) which is set in a stone revetted/lined sunken rectangular pit situated at the N end of the site . The structure retains camouflage on the external walls and internally, the engine plinths with an oil sump and a small wooden cabin. The camouflaged engine house is visible on RAF vertical air photographs (106G/UK/751, 6035-6037, flown 31 August 1945).
Information from RCAHMS (DE), December 2003
The engine house or power house was built 1913 as part of the construction of the battery (The National Arcive WO 78/5192). It appears to have been built in a natural hollow which was enlarged. The hollow was enclosed by a large stone revetted wall on its N and E sides. Access was down a stairway and engines were delivered by means of the adjacent slipway. The original power house was probably wooden and was replaced by the present Second World War period concrete engine house. <1>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <2>
The building was included in the scheduling for the South Sutor Battery with effect from 29/04/2019. <3>
For other installation associated with the First World War (Site No. 4) 9.2 inch Battery site, see also MHG35185, MHG36169, MHG36172, MHG46667, MHG59894.
For other installation associated with the Second World War 6 inch Battery site, see also MHG36170, MHG46668, MHG36171, MHG34268, MHG36172, MHG59101.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 170778.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 458-9. XY
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2019. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13571: South Sutor Battery, batteries and camp. Historic Environment Scotland. 01/05/2019. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8100 6703 (25m by 23m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13571 (View online HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/170778 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.