MHG36170 - Gun Emplacements - Coast Battery, South Sutor
Second World War 6 inch gun emplacements for the battery site at South Sutor.
Type and Period (3)
- COASTAL BATTERY (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- GUN EMPLACEMENT (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- MAGAZINE (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
NH86NW 11.05 8103 6690 and 8105 6697
The World War II coast battery is situated on private land behind a fence. Probably the most complete battery in Scotland, was armed with 2 x 6-inch MkVII guns on CPII mountings in November 1939. The battery was placed on a care and mainatainance basis in April 1945 and the guns were removed in 1956. <1>
The two brick and concrete WW II gun-emplacements are of slightly differing design. The S emplacement shows evidence of phasing in the construction whilst the N emplacement would appear to be of one build.
Steel re-inforcing has been used throughout. The gun pits on both emplacements were measured as having a diameter of about 3.80m.
Both gun-emplacements are visible on RAF vertical air photographs (106G/UK/751, 6035-6037, flown 31 August 1945).
Visited by RCAHMS (DE, GS. SW), August 2000
Two gun houses, each with a magazine and crew shelters. The north gun house (no. 2 gun) adapted and used the First World War magazine and lies immediately to the N of the First World War 9.2-inch emplacement. A new shaft for a hoist was made in the N wall of the magazine allowing direct access into the new gun house. The doorway and windows providing light into the shell store may have been blocked at this time. The arrangement within the magazine may have been changed but there is currently no safe access to check. The original hoist shaft became an emergency exit with a covered hatch.
In front of the gun pit the concrete apron has small boulders placed into it for camouflage and similarly on the part of the roof. A crew shelter, officer's room and gun store lie attached to the N side of the gun house. When operational the rear of the gun houses was covered in camouflage netting. The access road to the rear was painted with a camouflage pattern as visible of a vertical aerial photograph (106G/UK/751, 6035-6037, flown 31 August 1945).
The south gun house (No. 1 gun) was a completely new build. The arrangement is similar to the N gun house, however the magazine was of an improved designed and identical to that at the Ness Battery in Orkney (see HES Canmore record HY20NW 27). The access to the magazine was by a flight of stairs. Shells and cordite were delivered down into the magazine using a small crane, still in situ, above the bottom of the stairs. A L-shaped passageway runs to the steel doors of the magazine. At right angles to and on either side of the steel entrance doorways is a low narrow passageway which extends around the outside of the magazine. This feature allowed any blast wave for an external explosion to safely disperse. The magazine contained two rooms parallel to each other, with the hoist in what was the shell room in the NW corner which lead up to the SW corner of the gun house. Finally an emergency exit was provided in the W wall which leads to a covered hatch to the SW of the gun house.
Attached to the N side of the gun house was the crew shelter and officers room.
The battery, according to the Fort Record Book (The National Archives WO 192/248) was constructed during 1939 and the guns were operational on the 11th November 1939. <2>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the World War One Survey Project. <3>
See also MHG34269 and MHG46668.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Guy, J. A.. 2000. Highland Region: A Survey of the 20th Century Defences. Historic Scotland. 30/01/2001. Digital (scanned as PDF). Vol.2, 88.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 170774.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 462-3. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8103 6693 (52m by 115m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (8)
- Part of: Coastal Battery - South Sutor (Monument) (MHG8373)
- Related to: Anti Aircraft Battery - Coastal Battery, South Sutor (Monument) (MHG59101)
- Related to: Barracks - Coast Battery, South Sutor (Monument) (MHG34269)
- Related to: Engine House - Coastal battery, Site No. 4, South Sutor (Monument) (MHG36174)
- Related to: Fire Command Post - Coast Battery, South Sutor (Monument) (MHG34268)
- Related to: Huts - Coast Battery, South Sutor (Monument) (MHG46668)
- Related to: Observation Post - Coast Battery, South Sutor (Monument) (MHG36171)
- Related to: Searchlight Battery - Coast Battery, Site No. 4, South Sutor (Monument) (MHG36172)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/170774 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.