MHG34269 - Barracks - Coast Battery, South Sutor
Barracks associated with the Second World War 6 inch battery site at South Sutor.
Type and Period (1)
- BARRACKS (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
The accommodation camp for the South Sutor coast battery is depicted as a series of buildings on the current chart copy OS 1:10000 map (1980) to the N of the track that leads to the battery.
Information from RCAHMS (DE) January 1998
The army accommodation camp for the coast battery at South Sutor is situated on the shore side of the track, S of Little Rock, that leads to the military installations.
Most of the site now comprises concrete hut bases, however, there are one or two huts extant and presently occupied. One of these buildings was the Officers Mess and this is now a private house. Within this private house and painted on a wall is the badge of the Royal Artillery Regiment.
J Guy 2000; NMRS MS 810/10, Vol.2, 60
For other installation associated with the Second World War 6 inch Battery site, see also MHG36170, MHG46668, MHG36171, MHG34268, MHG36172, MHG36174, MHG59101.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Guy, J. A.. 2000. Highland Region: A Survey of the 20th Century Defences. Historic Scotland. 30/01/2001. Digital (scanned as PDF). Vol.2, 60.
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 138984.
- --- Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 469.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8004 6704 (273m by 253m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/138984 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.