MHG34268 - Fire Command Post - Coast Battery, South Sutor
Fire Command Post associated with the Second World War 6 inch battery site at South Sutor.
Type and Period (1)
- COASTAL BATTERY COMMAND POST (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
NH86NW 11.01 8086 6706
A centrimetric coast artillery fire control post situated to the NW of the coast battery. The radar was used to give accurate ranges and bearings on targets and splashes of shells, enabling corrections to be made. This fire control post was equipped with a C.A. No.2 Mk I radar set which was used to provide a general radar picture for coast artillery Area Commanders. It operated either in a wooden cabin or an installed fire command post.
Information from Mr I Brown, November 1998
This Fire Command Post is situated on the N side of the road at the entrance to South Sutor battery. Constructed of brick and concrete it consists of a single storey building with several rooms set into the slope. From this post the Fiire Commander controlled all the guns in this area. <1>
A flat roofed concrete building on two levels acted as a Fire Command Post, for all the guns in the area. The radar would have been positioned on the roof. The building still has some of the metal shutters to protect the windows and a metal door. The exterior still has some camouflage paint visible.
According to the Fort Record Book (The National Archives WO 192/248) the post was under construction in 1939-1940 and was operational on the 2nd February 1940.
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 23 July 2013. <2>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <3>
For other installation associated with the Second World War 6 inch Battery site, see also MHG34269, MHG36170, MHG46668, MHG36171, MHG36172, MHG36174, MHG 59101.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Guy, J. A.. 2000. Highland Region: A Survey of the 20th Century Defences. Historic Scotland. 30/01/2001. Digital (scanned as PDF). Vol. 3, 59.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 138983.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 468. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8086 6705 (13m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/138983 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.