MHG46668 - Huts - Coast Battery, South Sutor
Huts associated with Second World War 6 inch battery site at South Sutor.
Type and Period (2)
- MILITARY CAMP (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- HUT (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
A group of huts in varying stages of decay situated to the N and S of the access track within the fence.
The huts are visible on RAF vertical air photographs (106G/UK/751, 6035-6037, flown 31 August 1945).
Visited by RCAHMS (DE, SW), August 2000
When the battery was rebuilt in advance of the Second World War, the huts built in 1913 (see MHG59894) associated with the previous battery (MHG35185) were demolished . Accommodation for men and officers was now located off site at a new camp towards Cromarty (see MHG34269). According to a sketch plan of the battery by W Purdy dated 27 Sept 1943, only a latrine block appears to remain from the 1913 build (other than the gun emplacement and Fire Commander post). The new buildings were a guard room at the main gate, with a Dining Room and Cooks house beside it and a sergeants mess to the south. The officers mess and toilet block lay to the NW of the engine house. A large training hut occupied the site of the former NCO and men’s quarters. Between the reservoir and the BOP, there were six buildings/structures, an office block for the OC, BSM, Battery Office and R.C.S, a fuel dump, an Artificers' workshop, a reserve hut, a quiet room and an R.C.S hut.
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 24 July 2013 <1>
NH 81006 66999 - WW2 Training hut
NH 81000 67018 - WW2 Latrines
NH 80970 67004 - WW2 Guard room
NH 80977 66978 - WW2 Dining room and cook house
NH 80972 67040 - WW2 Latrines
NH 80977 67031 - WW2 Officer's Mess
NH 81002 67012 - WW2 Ablutions block
NH 81015 66972 - WW2 OC office, battery office, B.S.M and R.C.S
NH 81020 66956 - WW2 R.C.S builiding
NH 81002 66947 - WW2 Quiet room, reserve hut and artificer's workshop
NH 81000 66966 - WW2 Fuel dump
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <2>
The huts were included within the scheduled area whe the South Sutor battery was Scheduled by Historic Environment Scotland with effect from 29/04/2019. <3>
See MHG59894 for the earlier 1913 huts associated with the earlier First World War Battery.
For other installation associated with the Second World War 6 inch Battery site, see also MHG34269, MHG36170, MHG36171, MHG34268, MHG36172, MHG36174, MHG59101.
- --- Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2008. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 252687.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 252687.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 456, 490-8. XY
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2019. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13571: South Sutor Battery, batteries and camp. Historic Environment Scotland. 01/05/2019. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 80994 66987 (59m by 112m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13571 (View online HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/252687 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.