MHG36172 - Searchlight Battery - Coast Battery, Site No. 4, South Sutor
Searchlight batteries associated with the First World War (Site No. 4) 9.2 inch battery site and later Second World War 6 inch battery site at South Sutor.
Type and Period (3)
- ENGINE HOUSE (First World War to Second World War - 1914 AD to 1945 AD?)
- SEARCHLIGHT BATTERY (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- SEARCHLIGHT BATTERY (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
NH86NW 11.07 centred 8120 6702
Two World War II searchlight platforms which were not seen during the course of the visit in August 2000. Both lie on the Sutor Stacks and would appear to be of the standard type.
Information from RCAHMS (DE), October 2004
Martin Briscoe has submitted photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <1>
Below the South Sutor Battery are two rock stacks each with a Second World War searchlight emplacement. The buildings appear to be complete but the access stairways are in poor condition. From 1913 plans of the site (The National Archives WO 78/5192) and the RCAHMS aerial photographs, show an earlier First World War searchlight position on the west stack in front and below the existing searchlight building. The plans also show that the location of the First World War searchlight on the east stack is at the same location as the Second World War searchlight, suggesting that it was rebuilt. The plan also shows a power house between the two stacks. Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 23 July 2013. <2>
NH 81158 67029 - Engine House
NH 81204 67031 - WW1 and WW2 Searchlight
NH 81154 67055 - WW2 Searchlight
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS First World War Survey Project. <3>
The searchlight emplacements were included in the scheduling for the South Sutor Battery with effect from 29/04/2019. <4>
For other installation associated with the First World War (Site No. 4) 9.2 inch Battery site, see also MHG35185, MHG36169, MHG36174, MHG46667, MHG59894.
For other installation associated with the Second World War 6 inch Battery site, see also MHG34269, MHG36170, MHG46668, MHG36171, MHG34268, MHG36174, MHG59101.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 170776.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 466-7. XY
- <4> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2019. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13571: South Sutor Battery, batteries and camp. Historic Environment Scotland. 01/05/2019. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8117 6703 (56m by 36m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13571 (View online HES designation record)
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG36172 (View images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/170776 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.