MHG36292 - SKYE, KILMUIR CHURCH, GRAVEYARD, FLORA MACDONALD MONUMENT
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (Undated)
- None recorded
Kilmuir Graveyard on site of 16th century parish church, enclosed by rubble wall of 1832 . Memorial to Flora Macdonald, Alexander Ross, 1880, replacing gale-ravaged original of 1871. A dignified Celtic cross of granite, rising some 28 ft above her tomb; inscribed marble plaque added 1922 . Maclean Burial Enclosure, with lintel inscribed 1793 on weathered moulded doorpiece. Upper Duntuilm (the former Kilmuir Manse, also known as the Lodge of Osmigarry), 1776/8; substantial additions by James Gillespie Graham, 1803. From 1931 the home of author and naturalist Seton Gordon (1886-1977), who added an extension. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 3990 7187 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/173033 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.