MHG3639 - Eastertown
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Situated 350m E of Eastertown is a denuded stone-walled hut circle measuring approximately 10.0m in diameter between the centres of a wall of indefinite thickness. There is a 'simple' entrance, some 1.4m wide, in the E. There are a few stone clearance heaps in the vicinity. Surveyed at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS 27 February 1970.
To S and W of this hut circle is a 2ha area of clearance cairns and short lengths of banking and lynchets.
Visited by D W Ross, November 1983. <1>
This hut-circle occupies a terrace on a heather-covered hillslope some 350m E of Eastertown; it measures 7.5m in diameter within a stony bank spread to 1.5m in thickness and 0.3m in height with an entrance on the SE. Amongst the rank heather, there are occasional traces of banks and small cairns, which may belong to a field system.
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 8 October 1992. <2>
The hut circle was visited by S Farrell in 2012 during a walkover survey in advance of the proposed installation of two wind turbines and associated services. It was noted that there was no evidence of any associated field system. The feature was well away from the proposed turbine locations and would not be affected by the development. <3>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Ross, D W. 1984. Creag A' Chlachan (Dores, Daviot and Dunlichity p) pre-afforestation survey, Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1984, p.15. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 15. 19.
- <2> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1994. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Upper Strathnairn, Inverness: an archaeological survey: summary report. .
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Farrell, S.. 2012. Archaeological Desktop and Walkover for a Development of two Wind Turbines at Eastertown of Duntelchaig, Farr, Highland. Unaffiliated. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6406 3292 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13280 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.