MHG36396 - Mine Watching Observation Post - South Sutor
Part of the Second World War Cromarty defences .
Type and Period (1)
- OBSERVATION POST (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
NH86NW 16.01 8091 6707
This observation post is situated immediately below the fire command post (MHG34268) at South Sutor battery. A small concrete building which was the observation post used by the mine watching service for observing and recording enemy aircraft dropping mines into the sea. <1>
A bunker with an observation post. The entrance to this building is from the S side down a short stair. A short passage leading to the stairs up to the observation post has a doorway on the W side.
The observation post was used for watching for planes dropping mines at the entrance of the Cromarty Firth, plotting their position and reporting for mine clearing. It also played a part in the controlled minefield. The bunker part, entered from the doorway in the short passageway was part of the detection systems employed at the Sutors. Laid along the sea floor across between the Sutors, were the indicator loops which picked up magnetic changes when a metal ship/submarine passed over the loops. These were picked by a machine called a galvanometer which detected the slight changes in the electric current. Up to six galvanometers were in use. The room contains cables ducts in the floor and further cable ducts with electrical cables still in situ can located in three of the four corners of the single room. <2>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <3>
For other installations associated with the Second World War controlled minefield, see also MHG59168, MHG36395.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Guy, J. A.. 2000. Highland Region: A Survey of the 20th Century Defences. Historic Scotland. 30/01/2001. Digital (scanned as PDF). Vol.2, 124.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 173678.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 424. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8086 6707 (12m by 11m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/173678 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.