MHG59168 - Minefield - Cromarty Firth
Part of the Second World War Cromarty defences.
Type and Period (1)
- MINEFIELD (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
A controlled submarine minefield was laid across the entrance of the Cromarty Firth and was operational by Spring 1940. It comprised four mine loops and two guard loops. Any ship or submarine passing over the indicator loops would be detected on galvanometers in the Mine Watching Service bunker (see MHG36396). If the mine loop galvanometer detected movement as well then the mines adjacent to that site were detonated.
The guard loop and mine loops were 1000 yards apart. <1>
GIS data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8072 6735 (141m by 22m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331859/south-sutor-minefield-and-indicator-loops (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.