MHG36395 - Extended Defence Officer's Post - South Sutor
Part of the Second World War Cromarty defences.
Type and Period (1)
- EXTENDED DEFENCE OFFICER POST (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
NH86NW 11.23 NH 8091 6707 Observation post
This building is situated on the footpath below the track that runs from South Sutor coast battery (MHG8373) to Cromarty.
A small concrete building with lookout slits and steel shutters it was the extended Defence Officer's (XDO) post which would have controlled the submarine minefield in the Cromarty Firth. <1>
Martin Briscoe has submitted photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <2>
Bearing a similarity with a pillbox, the heavily built and protected XDO post overlooked the submarine minefield protecting the entrance of the Cromarty Firth. From this position the officer would determine if the controlled minefield could be electrically fired. Cables are still visible entering the post. <3>
GIS spatial data copied form data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <4>
The building was included in the scheduling for the South Sutor Battery with effect from 29/04/2019. <5>
For other installations associated with the Second World War controlled minefield, see also MHG59168, MHG36396.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Guy, J. A.. 2000. Highland Region: A Survey of the 20th Century Defences. Historic Scotland. 30/01/2001. Digital (scanned as PDF). Vol.2, 89, Vol.3, 59.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <3> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 173677.
- <4> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 423. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8070 6722 (11m by 8m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13571 (View online HES designation record)
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG36395 (View images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/173677 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.