MHG3641 - Caochan Nam Poran
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 560 AD)
NH63SW 48 645 340.
In the area centred NH 645 340, on a low ridge surrounded by boggy ground, there is a settlement of three stone-walled huts ('A'-'C'), (noted by Woodham)(A A Woodham 1963) each with an ill-defined entrance in the ESE arc.
Hut 'A' measures c. 12.5m in diameter between the centres of a wall spread to c. 3.0m all round. Occasional outer facing stones set on edge are visible. The entrance is mutilated.
'B' measures c. 14.5m WNW-ESE by c. 11.5m transversely between the centres of a wall spread to c. 3.0m all round.
'C' measures c. 14.5m WNW-ESE by c. 11.5m transversely between the centres of a wall spread to c. 3.5m all round.
In the vicinity of the huts are several denuded stone clearance heaps (noted as "small cairns" by Woodham) which are probably from contemporary cultivation plots.
Surveyed at 1/10,000.
Visited by OS (N K B) 27 Feburary 1970; A A Woodham 1963.
Hut circle 'B' contains a raised platform 8.2m in diameter and 0.1m high for the house, and a lower 'court' by the entrance.
Visited by D W Ross, November 1983.
There are three hut-circles, a group of small cairns, and a possible standing stone on a ridge to the SW of Clachindruim farmsteading.
Two of the hut-circles (USN93 139-40, OS 'B' and 'C') are oval, measuring 10m by 8.5m and 11.5m by 8.5m in diameter within stony banks up to 2.5m thick and 0.4m high; the wall of USN93 139 has been thickened on either side of the entrance. The interiors of both slope towards entrances on the SE. The third hut-circle (USN93 138, OS 'A') measures 10m in diameter within a rubble-faced earthen bank 2m thick and 0.5m high. The small cairns are disposed along the ridge from about NH 6474 3434 to 6449 3396 and measure up to 5m in diameter by 0.5m in height. What may be a standing stone (USN93 228) is situated between the two northerly hut-circles; it stands to a height of 0.6m, measures 1.1m by 0.15m at the base, and its long axis is aligned NE-SW.
(USN93 138-40, 228)
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 16 November 1992.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Ross, D W. 1984. Creag A' Chlachan (Dores, Daviot and Dunlichity p) pre-afforestation survey, Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1984, p.15. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 15. 15.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A A. 1963. 'Upper Strathnairn', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1963, p.32-37. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 32-37. 33.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1994. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Upper Strathnairn, Inverness: an archaeological survey: summary report. .
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6455 3408 (182m by 262m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM11543 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13282 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.