MHG36506 - Barn Of Hempriggs
The site of a farmstead, depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. The suggested site of a mill situated along Telford's Lade.
Type and Period (3)
- (Former Type) SITE (Undated)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- MILL? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Wed 13 Oct 2004
ND34NE 33 3596 4727
For Hempriggs House (ND 3550 4723) and associated buildings, see ND34NE 7.00.
Marked as Home Farm on 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, and Barns of Hempriggs on the 2nd edition. <1><2>
It is suggested that the remains of one mill is still in existence at Hempriggs Barn, on the Line of Telford's Lade connecting Loch Hempriggs to Pulteneytown. The morphology of the buildings and their relationship to the lade, especially as shown on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map would tend to suggest that this is a viable suggestion, although the buildings are not marked as such on any Ordnance Survey mapping. <3><4>
- <1> SHG23773 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-3. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Caithness (surveyed 1870-72). Digital.
- <2> SHG23362 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Caithness. Digital.
- <3> SHG24961 Text/Correspondence: Bruce, J. 07/2010?. Project Specification: Client - Wick Paths Project. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <4> SHG24799 Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3588 4728 (55m by 36m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/174285 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.